Andrew F. Griffin has been a lighting designer for over a decade, with a special interest in work that explores the intersectionality of light and music to create emotional and visceral experiences for a live audience. He started his career in Washington, DC, where he received two Helen Hayes Awards for Outstanding Lighting Design for his work on Henry V at Folger Theatre and King Lear at Synetic Theatre. Having attended Yale School of Drama, Andrew worked on five productions for the School and his design of the world premiere of The Moors at the Yale Repertory Theatre received a Connecticut Critics Circle Nomination for Outstanding Lighting Design. He also designed over 20 productions for Yale Cabaret and Yale Summer Cabaret - including He Left Quietly, which traveled to the 2015 Toronto SummerWorks Festival where it received the distinction of Best Production. He has collaborated with companies including Folger Theatre, Le Petite Theatre du Vieux Carre, Delaware Theatre Company, Woolly Mammoth, Olney Theatre Center, Theatre J, Signature Theatre, Synetic Theatre, Riverside Theatre, Studio Theatre, Tri-Cities Opera, Forum Theatre, Adventure Theatre, Urban Arias, GALA Hispanic Theatre, Faction of Fools, Imagination Stage, Everyman Theatre, The Delaware Shakespeare Festival, MetroStage, and Michigan Opera Theatre Children’s Chorus, and his work has been seen internationally in Canada, Mexico, and the Republic of Georgia. Andrew has also worked as an Associate and Assistant for designers such as Stephen Strawbridge, Jennifer Tipton, and Robert Wierzel. He is a proud member of United Scenic Artists, Local 829.
UPCOMING and ONGOING WORK:
- SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE (Associate LD) • dir. Rachel Rockwell • LD: Robert Wierzel • Asolo Rep Theatre, FL (January-February 2018)
- COMEDY OF ERRORS • dir. Sara Holdren• Little Shakes, Two River Theatre (March 2018)
- A THOUSAND SPLENDID SUNS (Associate LD) • dir. Carey Perloff • LD: Robert Wierzel • The Grand, London Ontario (March 2018)
- ELLA: FIRST LADY OF SONG • dir. Maurice Hines• Delaware Theatre Company, DE• (April 2017)
- A THOUSAND SPLENDID SUNS (Associate LD) • dir. Carey Perloff • LD: Robert Wierzel • Old Globe, CA (May 2018)