Andrew F. Griffin has been a lighting designer for over a decade, with a special interest in work that explores the intersectionality of light and music to create emotional and visceral experiences for live audiences.
Andrew’s recent New York credits: Goldstein (Off-Broadway, Actors Temple) The War Boys (Access Theatre) Lucie Pohl: Hi Hitler! (Cherry Lane) and Midsummer (TiltYard). His regional credits include: Folger Theatre, Yale Rep, Le Petite Theatre du Vieux Carre, Delaware Theatre Company, Woolly Mammoth, Olney Theatre Center, Yale Dramatic Association, Theatre J, Signature Theatre, Synetic Theatre, Riverside Theatre, Studio Theatre, Tri-Cities Opera, Forum Theatre, Adventure Theatre, Urban Arias, GALA Hispanic Theatre, Faction of Fools, Imagination Stage, and Everyman Theatre. As an associate to Robert Wierzel, Andrew is currently the Associate Lighting Designer for A Thousand Splendid Suns which premiered at American Conservatory Theatre and has played at Theatre Calgary, and The Grand in Canada, and has upcoming engagements at The Old Globe and Seattle Rep.
As an educator and guest artist, Andrew has taught and mentored students at Yale University, Yale School of Drama, Gallaudet University, Connecticut College, The Catholic University of America, and Carroll Community College. He also is on the faculty for the Yale Summer Session’s 'A Practical Approach to Directing' as a professor in design.
He is a two-time recipient of the Helen Hayes Award for his work on Henry V at the Folger Theatre, and King Lear at Synetic Theater; and a recipient of New Orleans Big Easy Award for his design of Once on this Island at Le Petit Theatre.
UPCOMING and ONGOING WORK:
- GOLDSTEIN • dir. Brad Rouse • Currently Running at The Actors Temple - Off Broadway
- ELLA: FIRST LADY OF SONG • dir. Maurice Hines • Delaware Theatre Company, DE• (April 2018)
- A THOUSAND SPLENDID SUNS (Associate LD) • dir. Carey Perloff • LD: Robert Wierzel • Old Globe, CA (May 2018)
- CROWNS • dir. Tommye Myrick • Le Petit Theatre, LA (June 2018)
- A THOUSAND SPLENDID SUNS (Associate LD) • dir. Carey Perloff • LD: Robert Wierzel • American Conservatory Theatre, CA (July 2018)
- MACBETH: As adapted and amended by Sir William Davenant • dir. Robert Richmond • Folger Theatre, DC (September 2018)
- A THOUSAND SPLENDID SUNS (Associate LD) • dir. Carey Perloff • LD: Robert Wierzel • Seattle Rep, WA (September 2018)
- NELL GWYNN • dir. Robert Richmond • Folger Theatre, DC (Jan-March 2019)